Wilne, St Chad
Wilne, St Chad
Welcome to St Chad's Church, Wilne. There has been Christian worship at this site since 822 AD, but parts of the current church building date from the 13th century. The top of the porch and tower are 14th century. There are other historical features such the font thought to be dated between the 7th & 9th centuries, original Flemish windows in the Willoughby chapel and a alabaster monument in memory of Sir John Willoughby. Parts of the church were damaged by fire in 1917 but sensitively restored by Curry and Thompson. The church is a Grade 1 listed building.
This church is used by people from all walks of life to seek out spiritual things and worship God, so please join us.
The church's position is situated in the older village of Church Wilne and can be found by post code DE72 3QH (the church is 0.2 miles from this point). It is part of the Wilne with Draycott Parish.
Concerts arranged by the Friends of St Chad's take place throughout the year.
Please note there is a car park for this church which is open for services and concerts. There is a car park opposite the church which leads to St Chad's water (a 12 acre nature reserve) which has public pathway around and is a peaceful place to walk. Disabled access for the church should be from the road, and the church has wooden ramps for wheelchair access for services.
The church is available for weddings - these can be booked from www.stmichaelsbreaston.org.uk.
Open by prior arrangement