West Hallam, St Wilfrid

West Hallam, St Wilfrid

St Wilfrid's, West Hallam, was built about 1275 but was added to up to the 15th century and then underwent drastic restoration in the Victorian era, 1854-55.  Most of the stained glass is Victorian, but there is some medieval glass in the sanctuary, and in one clerestory window there is an image of St James the Less, which is believed to have come from Dale Abbey.

There are eight bells but no regular ringers.  Visiting bands are welcome by prior arrangement.

There is an interesting 17th century chest tomb of Walter and Cassandra Powtrell, who were Lords of the Manor. 

There are several memorials to John Scargill who was Rector from 1638 to 1663 and founded the village school which continues to thrive.

Church members are involved in many village activities such as Well Dressing on the second weekend in July, when the church is open and refreshments are available.

Please note there is easy access for wheelchairs into church, but here is no car park so there is quite a long push up the drive.  There is a disabled toilet in the churchyard but, due to vandalism, this is kept locked when the church is not open.  A Radar Key gains admission.


Tomb, West Hallam
Interior, St Wilfrid, West Hallam
Pulpit, West Hallam
Window, West Hallam

Facilities

Toilets
Refreshments nearby
Place for quiet reflection

Features

Stained Glass
Sculpture

West Hallam
Ilkeston
Derbyshire
DE7 6GR

The Rectory
0115 9324695

Open times:

Open Tuesdays and Thursdays 9.00 am- dusk

BACK TO RESULTS PAGE