Parwich, St Peter

Parwich, St Peter

St Peter’s, Parwich dates back to Norman times when it was a chapelry of St Oswald’s Ashbourne. The church became a parish in 1650.  Little of the original building remains today due to its demolition in 1872.

The present church, constructed in 1873 by Stevens & Robinson, retains the original Norman doorway and chancel arch including a fine Saxon tympanum over the west doorway. The tympanum depicts the lamb of God with a cross, a stag trampling on a serpent, a wolf and a pig.

In 2000 two windows designed by David Pilkington were installed in the Lady Chapel to commemorate the new Millennium. Names of local children living in the parish at that time are etched into the glass.  

The present church was financed by T W Evans of Allestree Hall. It is listed Grade II*.

Further details of village life can be found on the excellent village blog, parwich.org.


Chapel, Parwich
Interior, St Peter, Parwich

Facilities

Church always open
Place for quiet reflection

Features

Stained Glass
Architectural Features

Creamery Lane
Parwich
Ashbourne
Derbyshire
DE6 1QL


Open times:

Open during daylight hours.

BACK TO RESULTS PAGE