Marston Montgomery, St Giles

Marston Montgomery, St Giles

Welcome to St Giles' Church, Marston Montgomery.  The Parish Church of St Giles dates back to Norman times but was heavily restored in the 19th century. It still contains a 14th century doorway with tympanum, chancel arch and font. It has a low sloping roof with a pyramidal bell-cote.

The church is mainly 12th century with 13th & 18th century alterations.  It was heavily restored and extended 1875-6 by H St Aubyn. Externally, it is built of coursed squared and rubble sandstone with slate chancel roof and plain tile nave roof, with stone coped eastern gables, topped by ridge crosses, and bell-cote over west end of nave. The West elevation is mainly 12th with blocked central doorcase.  To either side there are stepped buttresses and to the North c1875 aisle with chamfered lancet. Above the doorcase is a 12th century semi-circular headed single light window, and above again, a clock face dated 1870. Corbelled out above is the square, tile hung bellcote with four pointed timber louvred openings to top, on all sides, capped by a pyramidal slate roof. The North elevation has a long catslide roof over the aisle, which has three chamfered lancets to North and similar window to East end. There is a similar lancet beyond to the East in the chancel with a 12th century single light window beyond. The vestry is gabled 19th century at the East end with a Y-tracery pointed window to north with hoodmould and Caernarvon headed door to East.

The interior has three bay l3th century North arcade with double chamfered pointed arches, simple moulded capitals and circular columns, responding to either end cut away to form corbels. The scissor truss roof to the chancel is 19th Century and a very fine crown post roof to the nave with clock platform to the West end. The roof was extensively repaired in 2009. The East window and similar chancel windows of St Chad and St Giles are 19th century, and there is some early 20th century stained glass by A. Moore to the South side of the nave and a series of early 20th century stained glass windows depicting the evangelists in the north aisle.

Please note that there are two steps into the church and steps up to the altar.  Car parking is available on the lane outside of the church or there is a village hall call park in the village to use.


Font, Marston Montgomery
Interior, St Giles, Marston Montgomery

Facilities

Church always open
Access issues
Place for quiet reflection

Features

Stained Glass
Architectural Features

Thurvaston Lane
Marston Montgomery
Ashbourne
DE6 2FF

Revd John Vickerstaff
01283 585098

Open times:

Open during daylight hours

BACK TO RESULTS PAGE