Buxton, St John the Baptist

Buxton, St John the Baptist

The parish church of St John the Baptist, Buxton has served the town for 200 years now. The simple Regency architecture outside gives little hint of the glories that await those who come inside. With its awe-inspiring space and wonderful decoration, including some glorious stained glass windows, it is more like a small cathedral than a local church.

The church was built in 1811 by the 5th and 6th Dukes of Devonshire, primarily for those coming to partake of the "Buxton waters" for their health. The church was designed by architect John White who designed other major buildings in Buxton.

With its spacious and open interior, and its 4-manual William Hill organ, St John's is a sought-after venue for special services, recitals and concerts, playing host to a number of top performers who give concerts here. During the Buxton Festival, it is particularly busy as a venue for the Arts.

Please note that there is some limited parking in the church grounds accessed from Manchester Road, but much more pay-and -display parking can be found in the surrounding streets. 


Side Chapel, Buxton
St John the Baptist, Buxton
Interior, Buxton
Interior, St John the Baptist, Buxton

Facilities

Visit requires prior arrangement
Car park
Place for quiet reflection

Features

Stained Glass
Paintings
Architectural Features

Macclesfield Road
Buxton
Derbyshire
SK17 6XN

Parish Office
01298 77856

Open times:

Open by prior arrangement

BACK TO RESULTS PAGE